NO CRYING AT MY FUNERAL

NO CRYING AT MY FUNERAL

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

HOW CATHOLIC ARE YOU?

By Paul Dion STL

So you say, "I went to Catholic school from elementary through high school. I know all I need to know."

OK. Get at least 18 correct answers out of the next 36 questions and I will (perhaps) agree. Click here to view the correct answers.

1. A man must be at least 35 years old to be eligible to be elected Pope. Yes___ No____
2. The Pope must be a Bishop. ____Yes No____
3. The marriage of two non-baptized people before a judge is valid. ___Yes No____
3a. The marriage of two baptized, non-Catholic people before a judge is valid. ____Yes ____No
4. Confirmation under duress is a valid sacrament.____Yes ____No____
5. God talks to us exclusively through the Bible. ____Yes ____No
6. First communion is necessary to be eligible for marriage by Church___Yes ____No
7. The Catechism of the Catholic church teaches Caholic Doctrie Infallibly.____Yes ____No
8. The Church is an object of Faith. ____Yes ____No
9. The greatest commandment is "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. " ___Yes ___No
10. We have been baptized in the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ ___Yes___No
11. Baptism may only be conferred by a priest____Yes ____No
12. I must receive communion on my tongue and kneeling down____Yes ____No
13. People who commit suicide may not be granted a church funeral nor burial in blessed gound_____Yes ____No
14. Vatican II was a worldwide meeting of bishops meant to "open the Church's windows of spiritual understanding" to the modern world_____Yes_____No
15. Catholics must refrain from eating solid food at least 60 minutes before receiving communion at the Mass they will attend that day ____Yes ____No
16. Catholics must present themselves to the participation of the sacrament of HOLY communion at least one time per year, preferably during the Easter season____Yes _____No
17. All people are called to salvation ____Yes ____No
18. Jesus is true God and True Man ____Yes ____No
19. It is strictly forbidden for lay people to touch the Host from the Altar____Yes ___No
20. Any priest can hear confessions and give absolution to anyone, at any time, anywhere in the world ____Yes ____No
21. The ten commandments can be found in the Old Testament_____Yes _____No
22. We Catholics adore Mary _____Yes ____No
23. We Catholics pray to pictures and statues ____Yes _____No
24. All seven sacraments are equally important for our eternal salvation ____Yes ____No
25. The sacrament of Baptism is required before any other sacrament can be received ____Yes ____No
26. Catholics believe that all people who die must suffer first in purgatory before going to heaven ____Yes ____No
27. Catholics believe that homicide is always a mortal sin ____Yes ____No
28. Sins against the seventh commandment are not fully forgiven until after restitution is made ____Yes ____No
29. All people are called by God to strive for moral perfection during the course of their earthly lives. ____Yes ____No
30. It is a sin to believe in the theory of evolution ____Yes ____No
31. If you are not Catholic, you cannot be admitted to heaven ____Yes ____No
32. The pope is infallible in everything that he puts on paper ____Yes ____No
33. The Communion of Saints includes the angels ____Yes ____No
34. There are three Theological Virtues, Faith, Hope and Charity and four cardinal virtues, Justice, Prudence, Temperance and Fortitude ____Yes ____No
35. Jesus is the fullness of God's revelation to us. We therefore will no longer receive any further essential Revelation ____Yes ____No

Go ahead. Give these questions a try. It is a very good refresher course on our Catholic faith and beliefs.

When you are done, you can click here to view the correct answers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think I did good! I never went to Catholic school though. I tried your quiz and I got 26 good answers. I am so proud of my Catholic faith. This is fun.

By the way, I always enjoy reading your articles. Very educational, enlightening, and witty sometimes. God bless you and everyone in ParishWorld.

-- Chino Hills Resident

Anonymous said...

I also got 26 answers correct. Only after I looked at the correct answers in the end I realized why I had got them wrong.

--Resident of Perris

Anonymous said...

Did pretty good with a score of 30. Grew up in a strong Catholic faith based home. Went to both Catholic and public schools. Enjoy this website.
Murrieta Resident

Papa Puttss said...

You are doing very well. If you submit a comment again, anonymously if you wish, with the numbers of the ones you missed, I will publish explanations and references.

Anonymous said...

I only missed three. I wonder about #22, do we not adore Mary? Why not?

Anonymous said...

It was fun and an education. I got a score of 31 but the review was helpful, too. I enjoyed it. Jan from Cathedral City, California

Papa Puttss said...

We've been a litle slow posting your comments because of technical difficulties. We seem to be back in business.
We have placed some clarifying comments on some of the questions that seem to pose some difficulty to some. They can be found in the "answers" section.
Tomorrow we will adress the question of the adoration of Mary.

Anonymous said...

Great quiz. However, I question #2.

It is my understanding that Canon Law states that any practicing baptized male catholic may be elected Pope. Has this changed? If so, when.

Papa Puttss said...

Hi, Anonymous:
Things have changed somewhat over the years. However, you are basically correct. But that is pre-election. Post election, the pope must be a bishop. So there will be the preparation to ordination to the diaconate, priesthood and bishop, as needed. These days there would perhaps by the capping as a cardinal, though this would not be necessary.
Remember that the pope is the bishop of Rome. That is his first title.
You and I both know that because all the electors are cardinals, the odds for you and me being elected are mighty slim, indeed.

Hey, how many did you get right?

Anonymous said...

I got 22 right, there was a few I didn't even answer because I wasn't sure. But I did think I would get a higher score. I know I have lots to learn. God Bless.

Ronaldo