NO CRYING AT MY FUNERAL

NO CRYING AT MY FUNERAL

Monday, September 20, 2010

JESUS HAD IT RIGHT (JOHN 21;18)










"I tell you most solemnly, when you were young you put on your own belt and walked where you liked; but when you grow old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will put a belt around you and take you where you would rather not go."                      

Imagine being led around by these two fine specimens of human nature! In a previous post I described my bout with a ferocious attack of the gout and the consequences that it brought to my life.  By doing that, I left out the story of my two sons. They deserve more recognition than was present in the previous writing.
I have chosen the above photos because I have decided that they will lighten the tone of the matter. I have already told them that when a father finds himself being coddled by his children, there are no words in the language powerful enough to express the emotion of the moment. It is a moment captured well by the words that Jesus addressed to Peter just before leaving earth for heaven.
I was in that situation.  They put me in a car and drove me to the hospital.  There they sat, missing work, keeping watch over the shadow of the man they knew as their father.  In the very few semi-lucid moments that I had over the first three days of my confinement, we tried to communicate as usual, but it was impossible.  They even found it necessary to apologize to the hospital staff that had to endure my abuse.  Yes, they did that, and more, because they saw their father in a light that they never thought would ever present itself to them.  I still remember some of the words they used during those moments.  When I think of them, I smile and wonder how God could have blessed me so deeply and richly with two magnificent angels, blood of my blood, hearts of my heart, full of His Grace.


These guys are saints.  I thank God for showing me the precious depths of their souls before I die.  When I do die, remember what I have just said.  Know that I died in the presence of saints on earth, and do not dare to cry at my funeral.




No comments: