NO CRYING AT MY FUNERAL

NO CRYING AT MY FUNERAL

Sunday, October 4, 2020

JOBS? YEAH I'VE HAD A FEW

 

That's the one, way on your right.

The other day I was talking to my son, the first of the two.  He has been out of work for a couple months now and is job hunting and considering his options going forward.  Since then I have been thinking of the ways that I have found to earn my keep, or even just my privilege to come home day after day with an idea of where I would be and what I would do on the morrow. 

Starting in the Summer vacation after grade 6, (1949) this my gainful effort biography:


1. Washing floors for aged ladies (3).  First ever engagement.              

2. Opening up a clogged sluice ditch for an auto body shop owner.      

3. Week-end shoeshiner                                                                          

4. Two summers on tobacco farms.                                                       

5. Worked for a construction company. (Under the table)                      

6. Worked in a comic book printing company. (Parts of 4 years 'til 1958)


Preparation for ministerial career and service in the ministry.  Then, in 1977, I left the active ministry and started to live in the "real world."


7. Short stint in start-up placement agency.                                            

8. Human resources career begins. (1977)  I had some hiccups:   

Fired x 2    --   Lay-off, Co-Failed  x2

So:   

a:  Interior painter, some employment, some contract                            

b: Telephone answering service operator                                                

c:  Amway practitioner                                                                            

d:  Melaleuca practitioner                                                                        

e:  Lecturer in Church supported Theology                                            

f:   Many stints (5) as a security guard                                                    

g:  Airport shuttle van driver (4 times)                                                    

h:  Medical transport (non-emergency) transport van driver

I can't let you go without mentioning the several years that I spent as a pilgrimage organizer, mostly to the Holy Land and occasionally to the site of the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary to two cowherds in the French Alps at La Salette.

With a past like that, I don't deserve any tears at my funeral.



No comments: